

**Core Metadata and Collections Section Subject Analysis Committee  
2023 Midwinter Meeting**

January 18-20, 2023, 3:00-5:00 pm (CST) each day (three days)

**Wednesday, January 18, 2023  
1:00-3:00 pm CST**

**Members present:** Candy Riley (chair), Amanda Ros (vice-chair), Iman Dagher, Violet Fox (member and liaison from Sears), Tina Gross, Margaret Joyce, Karla Jurgemeyer, Deborah Rose-Lefmann, Rose Krause, Deborah Tomaras, Thomas Whittaker, Adrian Williams (member and liaison from Homosaurus), Pete Wilson, Adam Schiff (member and liaison to MARC Advisory Committee), Minyoung Chung (associate member), Faye Mazzia (associate member)

**Ex-Officio Member Present:** Mingyan Li (Chair, Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies)

**Members absent:** Rocki Strader (past chair), Daniel Jergovic (member and liaison to CC: DA)

**Liaisons present:** Jennifer Bradshaw (RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group), Stacey Devine (LC-Children's and Young Adult Cataloging Program), Paul Frank (LC Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs Division), Michael Phillips (OCLC), Veronica Ranieri (PCC Subject Authority Cooperative Program), Barbara Bushman (National Library of Medicine), Sherman Clarke (ARLIS/North America), Scott Dutkiewicz (Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc.), Judy Jeng (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions), Catherine Kellett (American Association of Law Libraries), Alex Kyrios (OCLC-Dewey Decimal Classification), Janelle West (Music Library Association), Camilla Williams (Library of Congress-Dewey Program), Annie Wolfe (Library and Archives Canada)

**Liaisons absent:** Heidi Berthoud (Fast Policy and Outreach Committee), Daniel Joudrey (Dewey Decimal Classification), Jonathan Ward (Getty Vocabulary Program)

**1. Welcome and introduction of members and guests** **10 min.**

**2. Adoption of Agenda [SAC23-MW-agenda-final-rev]** **5 min.**

Agenda adopted as advertised.

**3. Adoption of Minutes of 2022 Annual Meeting [SAC22-AN-minutes]** **5 min.**

Minutes adopted as advertised.

#### **4. Report of the liaison from Library and Archives Canada (Annie Wolfe)**

**[[SAC23-MW-LAC](#)] 10 min.**

Annie Wolfe shared about classification and subject headings related to Indigenous people. LAC modified 119 CSHs and added 399 CSHs, seeking more input from communities to identify the right vocabulary to use. LAC has decided to remove the word 'Canadian' as an adjective and replace 'Indians of North America' with 'First Nations' for Canada. LAC removed the geographical subdivision \$zCanada when combined with the terms 'First Nations' to eliminate the redundancy.

Annie also shared NIKLA (National Indigenous Knowledge and Languages Alliance), which has been officially active since January 2022. Their three executives are well-recognized Indigenous leaders and experts in both subject headings and indigenous culture. LAC is looking forward to working with NIKLA and learning from them on appropriate terminologies and practices. LAC's next goal is to revise subject headings for First Nations communities and languages, which is currently in progress.

LAC has published the French translation of MARC21. Annie then provided several LAC authority work updates and other English-to-French translation projects that are detailed in the report.

Adam Schiff: Has LAC considered publishing CSH and its other vocabularies as linked data?  
Annie Wolfe: The Indigenous list is only on an Excel sheet. We are not really up to date with linked data, but it's something that we are looking for, though. Right now, we just have to go through the MARC21.ca website and through OCLC WMS. There's a way to retrieve those.

Adam Schiff: Library of Congress Linked Data Service has hosted some vocabulary from outside the Library of Congress, like OLAC and RBMS vocabularies. If they're in MARC format, you can just ship them off, and they can publish them for you. I'm just wondering about the PDF that lists all of the CSH. I consult that a lot for Canadian ethnic terms for demographic proposals.

Annie Wolfe: Again, it's on MARC21.ca Annie shared a [link](#).

Adam Schiff: Do you publish that? Is that an annual update of that complete list?

Annie Wolfe: We try to do it 4 times a year.

Brian Stearns: When subject headings are canceled, is there any way to work with OCLC so those old subject headings are removed from WorldCat records?

Annie Wolfe: We are working on it with OCLC and there will be a new feature to hide offensive vocabulary, not changing anything in the metadata behind and just masking visually offensive vocabulary. It's supposed to be up soon in OCLC WMS.

No further questions or comments.

**5. Report of the liaison from the National Library of Medicine (Barbara Bushman)**  
**[[SAC23-MW-NLM](#)] 10 min.**

Barbara Bushman mentioned that the NLM building is still under construction and most people are working remotely, but there are some staff working at the building and the NLM Reading Room is open to the public via appointment only.

Barbara also shared about NLM Listening Sessions focused on MeSH terms related to population groups. One session was done after the SAC meeting last June and a follow-up session is happening right now. Adjustments and updates to MeSH are being pursued in line with the NIH Unite Initiative to end structural racism and promote racial equity and inclusion. There are recordings of both listening sessions. Today's recording will be made available soon and last summer's recording is available at the link in Barbara's report.

The 2023 MeSH vocabulary was released in early December, with nine new and different reports detailing the changes to the vocabulary. These reports are available in CSV, PDF, HTML, JSON, RDF, and XML formats and you can easily see things that were changed and look at other categories of data. MeSH added over 1700 federally recognized American Indian and Alaskan native tribal names as supplementary concept records mapped to main descriptor headings. NLM is also working on Social Determinants of Health headings. See Barbara's report for more information.

The 2023 MeSH vocabulary has new headings for population groups in the U.S. and catalogers must use one of these terms when discussing specific U.S. population groups. New MeSH headings were also created for people outside of the United States, which should be used when discussing groups outside of the United States or when no geographic area is indicated. Catalogers should use broader people terms when that is the focus of the work. The existing publication type 'Validation Study' can now be used in cataloging. Two new geographic descriptors were added (Asia, Southern, and Maldives), and one was modified (Far East changed to Asia, Eastern).

The summer NLM classification update was published at the end of August and focused on updating the WF (Respiratory System) and WH (Lymphatic System) schedules. Barbara's report has the various numbers that were added to the classification to update those areas. The 2023 Winter edition of the classification will be published at the end of January and that will reflect the 2023 MeSH terms.

Lastly, NLM continues to work on a project with the Galter Health Sciences Library at Northwestern University on mapping the MeSH annual changes and the LCSH monthly approved lists in the MARC records in Northwestern's Alma system.

No further questions or comments.

**6. Report of the liaison from the Library of Congress Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs Division (Paul Frank) [[SAC23-MW-LC](#)] 10 min.**

The Library of Congress is aware that many of its subject headings for Indigenous peoples are incorrect or offensive and is committed to rectifying these errors with respect for Indigenous peoples. They have formed the Indigenous Headings Consultants Group, composed of members who have tribal nation affiliation and a strong understanding of subject headings and subject usage.

At the request of, and with supporting documentation from, the National Library of New Zealand, the word "Maori" will be changed to "Māori" in approximately 270 LCSH authority records.

LCSH headings for Computer games, Electronic games, and Internet games have been canceled and made UFs on 'Video games'. Franchise names for video games will continue to exist in LCSH, following a set pattern. This project started in July 2,022 and should be wrapping up relatively soon.

LCSH maintenance cannot remain as it was in the past, and the role of SACO in LCSH maintenance is much more critical now, with SACO funnels filling that important role. The SACO Comics and Fiction Funnel, the SACO Gender and Sexuality Funnel, and the SACO Medical Funnel are three new funnels organized in 2023. Existing SACO funnels have been working with PTCP as equal colleagues in the LCSH maintenance process, and new funnels have been organized.

Paul also added that the LCGFT group is experimenting with eliminating subfield \$v Drama from descriptions of A/V materials. Some catalogers found the subdivision meaningless and plan to extend this experiment to other standard form subdivisions in LCGFT. They want to use a faceted approach to describe resources instead of LCSH form subdivisions.

The Policy Training and Cooperative Programs Division volunteered to host a panel discussion and demonstration on discovery systems to explore whether linked data can enhance discovery. The session will have four presentations and a panel discussion with questions. They hope to gain a better understanding of the landscape and where they are headed with linked data.

Tina Gross: Can you tell us anything more about the Indigenous Headings Consultants Group? (How will it be formed, how big?)

Paul Frank: The Library of Congress is forming the Indigenous Consultants Group consisting of 8 to 10 people or institutions from the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The group will be selected based on subject matter expertise and understanding of cataloging. The aim of the group is to address fallacies in subject construction for Indigenous materials in catalogs. The next steps for the group will be discussed in an upcoming meeting.

Brian Stearns: Are these updates (especially relating to Indigenous peoples) available on the LC website? And is "Indigenous" now spelled with a capital at LC?

Paul Frank: we don't have an official stance on capitalization, but the practice is to capitalize. A press release will be coming out with more details on the changes being made. The initiative will address offensiveness throughout collections, not just in subject access points.

Thomas Whittaker: Is the intention to continue using the form subdivision Drama for written works (i.e. plays)?

Paul Frank: We're just starting with audio-visual materials. But my feeling is that it will be expanded. I'll add that 'Exhibitions' as a topical subdivision would stay.

## **7. Report of the liaison from the PCC Subject Authority Cooperative Program (Veronica Ranieri) [[SAC23-MW-SACO](#)] 10min.**

Veronica shared some basic personnel changes and new members in the SACO program, as well as the establishment of two new funnels: gender and sexuality and medical terminology. The African American funnel has been assisting with updating the heading "Slaves" to "Enslaved persons," and the project is close to completion. Nancy Cooley, Policy Specialist in PTCP, is replacing Veronica Ranieri as liaison from the PCC SACO program. Nancy will give the full announcement and update about all of that when it's completed by the next meeting in June.

Adam Schiff: Slowness in getting some of the monthly lists approved and published. I'm assuming that's just because you've got a bunch of new staff, and you're training them, and it's taking a while?

Veronica Ranieri: LC is a bit behind in publishing approved lists recently due to new staff and training, which they're aware of. We are having extensive talks about ways to speed up the process.

Sherman Clarke: I just wanted to say I've appreciated the conversations I've had with policy experts. After the list has been discussed editorially, I have tried to clarify an issue the editorial group had, and I just wanted to thank you for that work.

Veronica Ranieri: That's great. I know Paul will agree that we really rely on all the feedback we get from SACO and SAC and anybody who happens to send us an email about proposals.

Adam Schiff: Thank you for your willingness to change the time of the editorial meetings.

Veronica Ranieri: The Editorial meeting will be later in the day, so hopefully, more people can join, and all are encouraged to speak up.

## **8. Report of the liaison from the Library of Congress Children's and Young Adults' Cataloging Program Liaison (Stacey Devine) [[SAC23-MW-CYAC](#)] 10min.**

We have experienced staffing changes resulting in only two full-time catalogers. We are working on creating policies and guidelines for CYAC cataloging and updating subject settings with hierarchies and scope notes. We are also creating a tentative and approved list of changes and working with funnels to make changes to headings. We appreciate everyone's patience and are willing to make the necessary changes.

Adam Schiff: I just have a question about the correct coding of CYAC headings in name authorities when they're used. We occasionally use those terms as attributes and there are 3 different mark source codes in the list and is the correct one to use now, CYAC. Is that correct?

Stacey Devine: That's correct. Other ones should be LCSH AC and then LCAC. We no longer use those ones. The current one is CYAC.

Adam Schiff: I wonder, maybe, if the MARC lists show that those other 2 codes are deprecated, that would probably be useful to people.

Stacey Devine: I'll follow up because it was supposed to be indicated that way. I'll find out why it's not clear.

## **9. Report of the liaison from the Homosaurus Editorial Board (Adrian Williams)** **[[SAC23-MW-HOMOSAURUS](#)] 10 min.**

In 2023, Homosaurus had two releases in June and one in December. The releases included 263 and 308 additional terms respectively, as well as structural changes and revisions to substance use- and recovery-related terms.

The editorial board collaborated with various organizations, including Black Lesbian Archives and Leather Archives & Museum. We also started work on documentation for Homosaurus implementation and a metadata application profile.

Homosaurus also received an NEH grant to develop a Spanish language version in collaboration with UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center, Arizona Queer Archives, and San Francisco Public Library's James C. Hormel LGBTQIA+ Center.

Homosaurus users can join the community Google group to ask questions and engage with the editorial board.

Adrian Williams shared [a link](#) to Homosaurus Google group.

Adrian Williams shared a contact [form](#).

Alex Kyrios: Will the Spanish Homosaurus be continuously maintained alongside the English beyond the grant period?

Adrian Williams: The intention is to continuously maintain that. That will mean bringing one to two more people onto the board that will be able to continuously maintain that.

Adam Schiff: You do map Homosaurus to LCSH. I'm wondering if you've also considered or would consider mapping to LCDGT, which has lots of LGBT-related classes of person's terms that are sometimes different from the LCSH and more up-to-date.

Adrian Williams: We discussed that on the board because Homosaurus is a subject vocabulary, and LCDGT is for audiences and creators. I think it's sort of not as prioritized right now. But we'd be open to having that conversation in the future.

#### **10. Report of the liaison to the MARC Advisory Committee (Adam Schiff)**

**[[SAC23-MW-MAC](#)] 10 min.**

Adam Schiff sent an announcement about the upcoming MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) meetings and shared a link to the agenda and list of papers, asking for feedback from SAC members.

There are two papers dealing with adding additional fields to support linked data. Adding subfields \$0, \$1, \$2, and \$5 to 720 and 653. There's another paper that's proposing to add subfield \$0, \$1 to field 658. We received one reply from Deborah Tomaras, which will be included in the forwarding of comments to MAC. There were no further replies from SAC members, but we assume the changes are not controversial. We will file another report with SAC once the meetings are held.

#### **11. Report of the SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies (Mingyan Li)**

**[[SAC23-MW-SSFV](#)] 10min.**

Mingyan Li shared some personnel changes in the committee and new members joining. The previous chair, Casey Mullen, is now a liaison from the PCC Policy Committee. Kelley McGrath, previous PCC liaison to SSFV, transitioned to a regular SSFV membership in July 2022.

The group is divided into four task groups, each focusing on different topics. Group 1 is working on creating LCGFT (Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms) mappings for LCSH literary headings, and their goal is to pull a list of LCSH literary headings, isolate genre/form-based stems, and create preliminary mappings based on stems.

Group 2 is working on creating/refining mappings of LCSH headings to 370/385/386 fields. Their goal is to finalize the format of their mappings, develop procedures to maintain the mapping and explore ways to test the mapping as a means of adding demographic terms to existing data.

Group 3 is preparing and submitting LCGFT proposals for gaps in the LCSH subdivision mappings. They aim to review the list of Subdivisions Under Consideration for LCGFT Proposals and create and submit proposals for terms deemed worthy and eligible for LCGFT.

Group 4 is testing and refining LCSH subdivision mappings with OCLC and other interested parties. They aim to continue testing the mappings from the RIBP form subdivision module in catalog environments, working with OCLC, and developing a plan for maintenance of the RIBP form subdivision module. They have made a set of revisions to the form subdivision mapping module. We plan to invite the whole SSFV community to review and provide comments on our work.

## **End of report**

Candy Riley suggested that Violet could provide information about the Medical Funnel since it has been mentioned by several liaisons.

Violet Fox: We discussed the creation of a Medical Funnel that includes both general and medical librarians to improve medical terminology and collaborate with the Library of Congress. We hope to address issues and make hierarchy changes. The first meeting is scheduled for March 2023, and we are excited about the potential for collaboration and progress. I'll have more to report at the annual meeting in June or July.

Candy Riley: I would love to have more information about other funnels, Adam, do you want to talk about the Gender and Sexuality Funnel?

Adam Schiff: The Gender and Sexuality Funnel was formed last summer, and I'm one of three co-chairs of that group. We have been meeting monthly with about 30 participants. We have several working groups focused on changing terminology related to gender, sexuality, and reproductive health. One proposal that will be sent out soon is to change the term "Gender identity disorders" to "Gender dysphoria." Other groups are working on changing terms like "Bisexuals" to "Bisexual people" and looking at whether to propose a change to "Sexual minorities" or add a heading for LGBTQ people. We're open to new participants, and contact information is on the Funnel Page.

Candy Riley: Deborah, Do you want to talk a little bit about the comics?

Deborah Tomaras: We are a new group and will have our first meeting soon. This group is a NACO and SACO funnel. We are interested in tackling issues related to names and titles in comics and fiction, including best practices for creating fictional characters, name authority records, and proposing subjects related to amateur detectives. We are also looking at revisions to outdated terms related to gender and relationships, particularly "Man-woman relationships" in romance novel cataloging. Anyone interested in joining the Funnel can email me: [Deborah.Tomaras@marist.edu](mailto:Deborah.Tomaras@marist.edu) or [abailund@sdsu.edu](mailto:abailund@sdsu.edu)

Michael Phillips: For Stacey, your report mentions testing CYAC records in BIBFRAME. Can you speak more about that experience? Any particular insights, challenges, and/or successes?

Stacey Devine: We have one person currently testing BIBFRAME, and we have not yet reported any direct findings. We primarily use the system for cataloging and publication



material and have found that it works better for print workflow. Due to workload, we have only been able to do a few tests per week, but hope to have more to report soon as we are now testing weekly.

Violet Fox: I just wanted to let people know that I've been marketing SAC meetings as an RDA-free zone for people who like cataloging but don't like RDA. So let's keep the mentions to a minimum.

No further questions or comments.

**Meeting adjourned at 14:20 CST.**

**End of Day 1**

**Thursday, January 19, 2023**

**1:00-3:00 pm CST**

**Members present:** Candy Riley (chair), Amanda Ros (vice-chair), Rocki Strader (past chair), Iman Dagher, Violet Fox (member and liaison from Sears), Tina Gross, Margaret Joyce, Karla Jurgemeyer, Deborah Rose-Lefmann, Rose Krause, Deborah Tomaras, Thomas Whittaker, Adrian Williams (member and liaison from Homosaurus), Pete Wilson, Daniel Jergovic (member and liaison to CC:DA), Adam Schiff (member and liaison to MARC Advisory Committee), Minyoung Chung (associate member), Faye Mazzia (associate member)

**Ex-Officio Member Present:** Mingyan Li (Chair, Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies)

**Members absent:** None

**Liaisons present:** Jennifer Bradshaw (RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group), Paul Frank (LC Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs Division), Michael Phillips (OCLC), Veronica Ranieri (PCC Subject Authority Cooperative Program), Barbara Bushman (National Library of Medicine), Sherman Clarke (ARLIS/North America), Judy Jeng (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions), Catherine Kellett (American Association of Law Libraries), Alex Kyrios (OCLC-Dewey Decimal Classification), Janelle West (Music Library Association), Camilla Williams (Library of Congress-Dewey Program), Annie Wolfe (Library and Archives Canada)

**Liaisons absent:** Stacey Devine (LC-Children's and Young Adult Cataloging Program), Scott Dutkiewicz (Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc.), Danny Joudrey (Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee), Jonathan Ward (Getty Vocabulary Program), Heidy Berthoud (Fast Policy and Outreach Committee)

1. **Welcome and introduction of members and guests 5 min.**
2. **Joint report of the liaisons from the Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee and OCLC-Dewey Decimal Classification (Danny Joudrey and Alex Kyrios) [[SAC23-MW-DDC\\_EPC](#)] 15 min.**

Alex Kyrios gave a report in place of Danny and discussed various updates in classification, including a new hierarchy for graphic design. I thank Committee Member Violet Fox, who was a big part of the early work. We published updates to Islam terminology. We will have Katherine Becker as a second editor-in-residence, starting very soon in a few weeks on-site with me at the Library of Congress. She'll be working on addressing bias in classification.

Alex Kyrios also mentioned upcoming proposals being considered by the editorial policy committee and internal work on integrating Dewey as linked data with other offerings. He also introduced two new EPC members, Andrea Keppler and Jo Williams.

Violet Fox: Is the new editor-in-residence, Katherine, is that a LIS student or a recent grad?

Alex Kyrios: A recent grad with school library experience.

3. **Report of the liaison from the Library of Congress Dewey Program (Camilla Williams) [[SAC23-MW-DDC\\_LC](#)] 10min.**

Camilla Williams highlighted that the Dewey program exceeded the target by assigning Dewey numbers to 125,000 bib records. Camilla also added that two new staff members are helping to achieve goals while still learning some classification tasks and handling heavier workloads.

Violet Fox: Can I just ask about staffing? Did you get 2 new members? Is that where you want to be or where you plan to be?

Camilla Williams: The plan is to hire more staff, but it's not currently feasible. There are two staff members currently, and the hope is to add more due to a possible retirement in the future.

4. **Report of the liaison from the FAST Policy and Outreach Committee (Dean Seeman) [[SAC23-MW-FAST](#)] 10min.**

Dean Seeman, a co-chair of the FAST policy and outreach committee, reported on the committee's recent activities. Several members have rotated off the committee as of January 2023, and five new members have been welcomed. The committee is in the process of selecting a co-chair and SAC liaison and continues to meet virtually every month.

FPOC members have presented at the Library of Congress Panel Discussion and provided news for the IFLA Metadata Newsletter. The FAST Funnel has been active since July 2021,

and the committee continues to consider possible changes to FAST, including adjusting the representation of geographic headings and Indigenous headings. There have been concerns about FAST maintenance and its compatibility with linked data.

Chloe Misorski: Does this mean that FAST could diverge from LCSH in more respectful terminology, or would it be changing alongside LoC?

Dean Seeman: That's an excellent question. That's precisely the question that we're trying to grapple with. That's definitely the area where it's come up the most frequently is whether FAST could be a venue for more respectful terminology and maybe more respectful terms being created in a more timely manner than the LC or LCSH process would take. I'll just speak, not on behalf of the committee, but just as a member of the committee. The oversight of those Indigenous, that Indigenous terminology for Indigenous communities requires the same. It requires a lot of consultation to do it right, and I think it also requires quite a lot of effort. But then it would just be who is at the top of that deciding which terms to actually employ and use. And who's doing that considerable amount of consultation with the community to make sure that those terms are correct or as representative as possible? That's exactly what we've been talking about, and I think it's a pretty big question. So I would say at this point we're really happy to see the Library of Congress progressing, and I think, as a derivative vocabulary of Library of Congress Subject Headings, we're really kind of waiting to see how that process goes at least in the short term.

Violet Fox: I'm wondering if you've talked with LC about their plans for consulting with Indigenous groups. I also was just wondering if there's anything happening with FAST work or if it's just this maintenance. Essentially, you have all this extra energy, and it sounds like it's really just incremental changes at this point, and I'm just wondering if they're kind of big plans in the future or what?

Dean Seeman: thanks, Violet. We're lucky to have Heidi on the committee from the Library of Congress. She's also involved in the Library of Congress's efforts around Indigenous headings, and she can enlighten us a little bit on how LC is progressing. Honestly, I didn't put it in this report because it was in the previous ALA report, but the big announcement is about the British library moving to FAST as their primary subject vocabulary for a lot of their description. I think that's the big news, and I think the big news is around more and more adoption of FAST overall. And so I would say, FPOC is about maintenance, but also allowing people to have their eyes wide open when contemplating this decision. When they're making a big decision on, maybe using FAST in a greater way, and their institutions that they know what they're getting into, and we provide those support supports for things like maintenance, so that those workflows get a little bit more established or a little bit more lightweight, and they don't have to figure out everything on their own. Like a lot of people are moving to FAST, especially in the wake of the British library's adoption of FAST, and other institutions are definitely considering it. We're considering it locally for more of our cataloging records. We use it mostly for digital library records right now. So I think part of the committee's role is really going to be not about reformatting the entire vocabulary but just about providing better support for people who do want to make that big lead.

Sherman Clarke: Dean, I don't know whether you know, and I know you're not working at the British Library, but you did mention them, and my question has to do with their adoption of FAST. Do you know the announcements never said that it was explicitly on the original cataloging? I was wondering whether they do anything to copy cataloging subject analysis or if they do.

Dean Seeman: I am not sure at the moment, but I can definitely get an answer for you, Sherman. I know its scope is to a particular area, but I can't recall just off the top of my head exactly where they're employing it within their workflow. It is quite expansive from my recollection, so I'm not sure if it applies to copy and original or not. But I can definitely get back to you about that.

## **5. Report of the liaison from OCLC (Michael Phillips) [[SAC23-MW-OCLC](#)] 10 min**

Michael Phillips, a new OCLC liaison, is taking over from Robert Bremer as he retired. Michael added that he primarily works on the development of the WorldCat ontology. The report discusses the removal of electronic book terms in 655 from WorldCat records, which was previously approved by the group, and is progressing well. So there's a lot of optimism about meeting and exceeding the deadline. Michael will have more updates on that in the summer meeting.

OCLC also updated the outdated LCSH term "Brothers and Sisters" to "Siblings" in over 114,000 records. This work took place in August and September of last year.

Violet Fox: Welcome, Michael. Thanks for being in the group. I appreciate it. I know how much OCLC works on subject headings and clean-up stuff. I'm just wondering if there was a reason why you highlighted the subject "Brothers and sisters" and not other terms. Is it what you did, something different than what you might normally do in the maintenance?

Michael Phillips: Honestly, I wasn't directly involved in this. This was just brought to me as a note. But I can ask that question if you like, some more background on the specifics of that.

Violet Fox: I think there's lots of room. I know you're new, and I'm not saying anything about this report. I'm just saying that there's lots of room for you to tell us more about what's happening. Subject wise. I think there's lots of maintenance work, and more so we'd love to hear more about it.

Brian Stearns: Is there any intention of working to have changes for vocabularies made in authority records?

Michael Phillips: That specifically I do not have any information on this, but I can look into it and get back to you with a response.

Adam Schiff: I've noticed that when subject headings are changed, name authorities are also changed, and they're controlled. They're not flipping the way they used to. What is the status of the control software/whether there's a delay and having these things flip? I've noticed that

when LC changes a separate heading, it seems like some of the access points in big records do get changed, but others don't.

Michael Phillips: So some of those mechanisms controlling that automation have been paused temporarily in order to resolve some issues. But we do hope to have them back online very soon, so we should see a restoration to expected activity in the near future.

Adam Schiff: How will that encompass retrospectively catching up with the things that have already changed, or have we just lost those?

Michael Phillips: I'll make a note of them and get back to you.

Bryan Baldus (in the chat): They will resume from where they left off.

Rocki Strader: Will other 655 term removals like Compact disc be done after "Electronic books" is done, or will they be done concurrently?

Michael Phillips: that's a good question. There is information in the post that has been made to the listservs. I do believe that Electronic books will be the first term to be removed, and then the larger list of other like terms that have been identified for removal will then follow.

Cynthia Whitacre (in the chat): The terms are being removed concurrently.

Jeannette Ho: Will other 655 terms, like Internet videos, also be removed in the future?

Michael Phillips: I'm not sure about that term specifically. I am seeing some very helpful responses from some of my colleagues at OCLC jumping into the chat to throw me a lifeline. In terms of the automation of controlled headings, my colleague, Brian Baldus, is saying that they will resume from where they left off as soon as those are turned back on.

As to the question of will the terms be removed one at a time or concurrently, Cynthia is saying that they will be removed concurrently. Thank you very much, Brian and Cynthia. I very much appreciate that. Cynthia has also said If you wish to have other terms considered for removal in Worldcat records other than those that are on the list, please submit those to [askqc@oclc.org](mailto:askqc@oclc.org)

## **6. Report of the liaison from the ACRL RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group (Jennifer Bradshaw) [[SAC23-MW-RBMS](#)] 10min.**

Jennifer Bradshaw reported on the progress of the controlled vocabulary for rare materials cataloging. Since completing the work of integrating the six legacy vocabularies, the Editorial Group has been working on writing scope notes for existing terms.

A subgroup of the Editorial Group is wrapping up its work on revisions and additions to the Prejudicial Materials terms in the vocabulary. There will be a public review of these terms later this spring. Once the linked data version of the vocabulary is live, the Editorial group plans to open the list for new term submissions.

No further questions or comments.

**7. Report of the liaison from the American Association of Law Libraries (Cate Kellett)**  
**[\[SAC23-MW-AALL\]](#) 10 min.**

Cate Kellett reported on recent updates in the Library of Congress (LC) staff, including farewells from Jolande Goldberg and Aaron Kuperman, who both retired. Jolande Goldberg worked with the Catalogers at the American Association of Law Libraries to update the law classification schedule and Jolande also made some changes to the Indigenous law schedule, the Bolivia section. Jolande wrote on the History of the K class schedule development to remind everyone how different the schedule is and the link is included in the report. Aaron Kuperman gave a webinar on the Law/Religion boundaries and explained the differences between K, B and KB. The recording link is also included in the report.

Cate Kellett also shared that Robert Bratton, AALL member, joined the RDA Steering Committee's Place/Jurisdiction Working Group to review "elements and instructions related to place and jurisdiction" in RDA. The committee reviews "the elements and instructions related to place and jurisdiction in both the original Toolkit and official Toolkit and evaluate the intended cataloging outcomes for each. This includes elements in Nomen and Work entities, as well as in Corporate Body and Place."

Cate also added that she will serve as Yale SACO coordinator.

No further questions or comments.

**8. Report of the liaison from the Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc. (Scott Dutkiewicz)**  
**[\[SAC23-MW-OLAC\]](#) 10 min.**

Not present.

**9. Report of the liaison from the Art Libraries Society of North America (Sherman Clarke)** **[\[SAC23-MW-ARLIS\\_NA\]](#) 10 min.**

Sherman Clarke shared that the ARLIS/NA Annual Conference is scheduled to take place in Mexico City from April 18-21, 2023, with a panel planned by the Cataloging Advisory Committee (CAC) on contributing to controlled vocabularies.

CAC is also working on updating Cataloging Exhibition Publications for compliance with Official RDA and submitted an LCSH proposal for an update to the scope note on Artists' books. Sherman Clarke also added that he noticed that OLAC (Online Audiovisual Catalogers) is setting up a working group to specifically move their best practices into official RDA language for policy, statements, and metadata guidance documentation, and he'll be interested in following up on that.

CAC also prepared proposals related to LCSH headings on sex work and sex workers, and a reparative metadata group is beginning a discussion on prisoners and related headings and Risographs (LCGFT gf2021026034) were approved on a resubmission proposal.

Deborah Rose-Lefmann: You mentioned you were delighted to get Risograph. What is Risograph?

Sherman Clarke: It's a type of print, and it had gone through the process a couple of times. It had been rejected the first time because it was seen as just a branch name, and we got some help from a policy expert. Melanie is specifically scoping it so that it was clear that it was like Xerox and Kleenex more than it was like Kodak, perhaps.

Chloe Misorski: Is there any timeline for when the updated Cataloging Exhibition Publications will be complete?

Sherman Clarke: There are a couple of chapters that have been submitted as chapters to ARLIS/NA in the Humanities Commons Space. Subjects have been done, and that now includes genre/form.

We're still working on the title, statement of responsibility, and names of works. I think of the 2 chapters that really still have a lot of work out, but the whole thing, hopefully not too much longer.

Violet Fox: I was just so excited about the prisoners work. The sex work headings have been great. I'm wondering if you could share who I might contact about the prisoners headings just to offer help and see what they're working on.

Sherman Clarke: Alex Provo, who is on the committee. Do you know her?

Violet Fox: I can reach out, and thank you so much.

Sherman Clarke: If you ever contact her, there's another fellow. It does tie into our little discussion we were having in the chat. If that group is trying to work on incarcerated persons, it would be too bad if some other group was working out. They've done a lot of work trying to find if there is any group that's doing it, and it's not really part of the ARLIS effort because it's not directly related to art subject matter. But it's great to see it, we hope we can see that well.

Violet Fox: For sure. I have a few people who have worked on smaller little headings, and I wanted to see if we can get them all together to talk about it, so I'll reach out to Alex. That's helpful. Thank you.

## **10. Report of the liaison from the Music Library Association (Janelle West)** **[[SAC23-MW-MLA](#)] 10 min.**

Janelle West reported that the MLA's Vocabulary Subcommittee is working on several areas of activity. Janelle West highlighted three areas of activities. First, revising best practices documents for using LC medium of performance terms and LC genre/form terms for music is

underway. Janelle mentioned that their goal is to have fully updated documents ready by the Music Library Association's annual meeting in early March.

Secondly, she also mentioned LC Vocabulary's Maintenance Task Group to address LCSH and LCGFT related to the Minstrel theme. This project has been ongoing for over a year. Several new and revised terms have been submitted to SACO in December for review.

Janelle also shared that the ad hoc task group is also working on a survey to explore the usage of LCSH, LCGFT, and LCMPT vocabularies, which will be distributed soon and possibly disseminated through formal publication during the spring.

Casey Mullin: the latest OCLC Music Toolkit on Strawn's website is dated July 2021. Is there a later version under development, and do we know when it will be released?

Janelle West: We are currently wrapping up feedback for Gary Strawn's guiding document. We have done some updated mappings between headings. Once we submit all of that back to Gary, we've got a deadline of January 31 for our final thoughts. I anticipate some changes based on that. There hasn't been work this year on other initiatives just yet. We haven't had any specific requests coming in this year for changes.

#### **11. Report of the liaison from the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (Judy Jeng) [[SAC23-MW-IFLA](#)] 10 min**

Judy Jeng reported that IFLA conducted two webinars since our meeting last time and was conducted by the Training and Education for Subject Access Working Group in August 2022, and another webinar was sponsored by the Automated Indexing Working Group in November last year. The next webinar will be next month, which will be major data updates. There is a new IFLA Cataloging Standing Committee, and they had their first meeting in December last year. The IFLA General Conferences Assembly will be a hybrid conference, and will be in August this year, and will be in the Netherlands.

Violet Fox: There's a lot of great stuff happening in IFLA. I don't ever hear about sessions before they happen. Do you have to be a member to attend these Webinars? Or is there a good place like an email list? Is there a good place to hear more about this stuff before they happen?

Judy Jeng: You don't have to be a member of the section to participate in those webinars. And if you didn't receive the announcement, then we have to improve our publicity. We tried to announce those opportunities as widely as possible.

Violet Fox: I know. I'm sure. It's just me. But I'm not on the right email list. If there's one specific place I should be, please let me know. I appreciate it because there's a lot of great stuff happening there. Thank you.

Amanda Ros: There is a mailing list called CATS Mail. That's where I see a lot of the announcements.

Violet Fox: That's helpful. I'll look for that. Thank you.



Chloe Misorski shared a link: <https://mail.iflalists.org/www/info/catsmail>

Candy Riley: I want to point out that Violet has the report that she has on her working group on the external review of LC vocabulary. It's a pretty good report. She's got some questions there and places for examples of other vocabulary that she can use. So she's looking for feedback on what she has now. She's looking with the view toward SAC endorsing their recommendations as well. She's not sure that they're at that point.

Violet Fox: We're definitely not at that point. but hopefully, in the next month or two, we would have it finished up. But it depends on what feedback we get from SAC members. Thank you.

**Meeting adjourned at 14:01 CST.**

**End of Day 2**

**Friday, January 20, 2023**

**1:00-3:00 pm CST**

**Members present:** Candy Riley (chair), Amanda Ros (vice-chair), Rocki Strader (past chair), Iman Dagher, Violet Fox (member and liaison from Sears), Tina Gross, Margaret Joyce, Karla Jurgemeyer, Deborah Rose-Lefmann, Rose Krause, Deborah Tomaras, Thomas Whittaker, Adrian Williams (member and liaison from Homosaurus), Pete Wilson, Daniel Jergovic (member and liaison to CCDA), Adam Schiff (member and liaison to MARC Advisory Committee), Minyoung Chung (associate member), Faye Mazzia (associate member)

**Ex-Officio Member Present:** Mingyan Li (Chair, Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies)

**Members absent:** None

**Liaisons present:** Jennifer Bradshaw (RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group), Paul Frank (LC Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs Division), Michael Phillips (OCLC), Veronica Ranieri (PCC Subject Authority Cooperative Program), Barbara Bushman (National Library of Medicine), Sherman Clarke (ARLIS/North America), Judy Jeng (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions), Catherine Kellett (American Association of Law Libraries), Alex Kyrios (OCLC-Dewey Decimal Classification), Janelle West (Music Library Association), Camilla Williams (Library of Congress-Dewey Program), Annie Wolfe (Library and Archives Canada)

**Liaisons absent:** Stacey Devine (LC-Children's and Young Adult Cataloging Program), Scott Dutkiewicz (Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc.), Danny Joudrey (Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee), Jonathan Ward (Getty Vocabulary Program), Heidi Berthoud (FAST Policy and Outreach Committee)

**1. Welcome and introduction of members and guests 5 min.**

**2. Report of the liaison from the Sears List of Subject Headings (Violet Fox)**  
**[\[SAC23-MW-SEARS\]](#) 10 min.**

Violet Fox shared that Sears subject headings were edited by a full-time staff at the publishing house, and it was before Grey House. Grey House Publishing will do the Sears list every four years, and they hired an editor only for a six-month period of editing.

Candy Riley: We're not going to have any Sears updates if for another 4 years. We might not need to keep it in the agenda, but we can keep it in there for now, and there will be the next chair's thoughts about what they want to do.

Tina Gross added a comment: I'm in the Devaluation of Cataloging working group. So, I will make this suggestion at its next meeting, but it seems worth mentioning here. I think that the report should mention cases of decreased support/investment in subject analysis tools by the institutions that maintain them, with Sears as one of the examples. Having the Sears List revised every several years by a person on a six-month contract is a significant reduction. Remember when Joseph Miller was the editor and H.W. Wilson published it? He had other responsibilities, it wasn't his full-time job, but they had a permanent employee in charge of it.

Deborah Tomaras added a comment: Agree with Tina. For example, if I wanted to submit a change (Shonen should not have been switched to Yaoi since they're different manga subgenres), it seems like that won't get done for years at this point. And in the meantime, manga cataloging using the revised term will be inaccurate.

**3. Report of the liaison to the Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (Daniel Jergovic) [\[SAC23-MW-CCDA\]](#) 10 min**

Daniel Jergovic shared that CC:DA had not scheduled a midwinter meeting but will be meeting on Monday, February 6th, from 11 am-2 pm Central and February 10th, from 10 am-1 pm Central.

CC:DA did meet shortly after the 2022 Annual meeting in July. Fall 2022 was a transition period for the committee with a new chair, Amanda Sprochi, working on Connect-related content, technical issues, the Core restructuring and updating the committee roster, which had not been updated for more than a year, and ensuring the access on both CC:DA public page and private to all current and the committee members.

During the fall period, CC:DA members were asked to provide comments on three RSC Proposals relating to changes to the RDA Toolkit. CC:DA members' comments and the

committee's formal response were approved by the committee's voting members, and CC:DA's response was submitted to NARDAC in September.

Lastly, Daniel shared the news that CC:DA members were notified of the passing of former CC:DA member Nancy Poehlmann, Special Collections Cataloging Coordinator for the University at Albany Libraries. Nancy served on CC:DA from 2016-2020.

No further questions or comments.

#### **4. Report of the liaison from the Getty Vocabulary Program (Jonathan Ward)**

**[\[SAC23-MW-GETTY\]](#) 10 min**

Jonathan reported more about the Getty Vocabulary Program over the past 6 months. For the Union List of Artist Names (ULAN), there was a massive 220,000 submission of artists from the RKD, Netherlands. Beginning with artists from Africa and Asia, contemporary artists from around the world have been added. African American artists are also recently submitted from the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. Jonathan also mentioned the MARC iteration of the Vocabularies. VIAF will soon halt transforms of ULAN data into MARC.

An editorial issue related to the East Asian names in ULAN is making sure to have correct flags attached to artists, names that reflect courtesy names, art names, given names, diminutives, and pen names. Also, Jonathan mentioned that they codify terms first in the Art and Architecture Thesaurus, especially noting their context in those countries for eventual use in ULAN when referring to those artists. Considering varying definitions between countries, they consult scholarship and existing standards before creating data.

Jonathan shared more updates about AAT, CONA, and TGN. Getty Vocabulary Program has been focusing on Indian architectural terminologies, Portuguese terms, and an Arabic translated and transliteration submission in the AAT. In CONA, the Cultural Object Name Authority, Built Works Registry continues to be processed. In TGN, they continue to load data from the National Geospatial Agency and address pejorative and/or derogatory terms. Jonathan added that Getty Vocabulary Program allows for expert communities and contributors to actuate the change in the content, not prescribing how to use terms as a thesaurus. Jonathan explained that what TGN does on derogatory terms is to flag those specific terms as historical in our data structure so users know they're not in current use. TGN also can mark pejorative terms with a flag, which can be searched via XML or Linked Open Data if one would like to update your local data or system.

Adam Schiff: I ran across an ULAN entry last night (Dominique Coulon) that says his gender is female. How do we report an error like this? (Dominique is a unisex French name).

Jonathan Ward: All you have to do is to write [vocab@getty.edu](mailto:vocab@getty.edu), and it will get fixed virtually within an hour, but it won't show up online for another month. The online iteration of the

vocabs plus the linked open data and XML iterations of the Vocabularies get updated only once a month.

Sherman Clarke: You said that AAT is adding Indian architecture terms. Is that Indian Asian or Indian North American?

Jonathan Ward: South Asian. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Violet Fox: Thanks for that report. Is the derogatory term with a flag a new capacity that you have?

Jonathan Ward: We've added that into the system to deal with these recent changes. We're gonna go back and flag anything that would be. Now, it's hard to do that systematically, but we can go back and see. For example, in Canada, there's been a lot of name changes to First Nations names. That might just be a simple change or update in our system, but it can be a step-by-step process that real humans have to do, not a machine. Going back to East Asian names and talking about what a courtesy name means in the context of Japanese art and or Chinese art? That will be a separate type of flag that is attached to a name.

Violet Fox: What is your staffing?

Jonathan Ward: We're a staff of 4 people.

Violet Fox: Do you have any outside review process?

Jonathan Ward: We have a steering committee and a governance committee made up of inside and outside people. Our contributors are also our core communication network people who are translating the AAT into various languages and our general large-scale contributors.

## **5. Old Business                      60 min.**

### **a. Update from Core DEI representative (Iman Dagher)**

The committee has met three times so far, and our fourth meeting is scheduled. The committee is still in the process of establishing a diversity statement for Core and also working to establish a sustainable liaison program. FAQ document has been in development, and forums, where people can meet and share questions and ideas, are in the plan. The committee has compiled a directory of resources on assessment, training, outreach, recruitment, grants/scholarship, and organization.

Iman posted the link in the chat: (<https://www.ala.org/core/resources-tools/edi-resources>).

Iman also posted the website of the committee roster and the charge in the chat: (<https://www.ala.org/core/member-center/committees/diversity-and-inclusion-committee>).

The committee plans to have seven working groups:

- DEIA Liaisons
- Survey Data
- Guidance for looking at conference venues
- Programing-ALA annual session

- Programming- Core Forum proposal
- DEI Directory maintenance
- Core Diversity Statement Working group

The committee will have a program during ALA, but I don't have any details about the program at the moment.

Candy Riley: How frequently are they meeting? Could you remind me of that?

Iman Dagher: Monthly.

Candy Riley: Any discussion on term limits? Are they the same as for any other committee, 4 years?

Iman Dagher: No.

**b. Update from Working Group on External Review of LC Vocabularies (Violet Fox)**

The report includes the recent improvements in Library of Congress controlled vocabularies, the background of the working group/member rosters, other controlled vocabularies or classifications leadership structures, ideas about who should be represented on a Library of Congress Subject Heading advisory board, and ideas for improving the Library of Congress controlled vocabulary approval process beyond external review.

Violet Fox emphasized how much change has happened in the Library of Congress controlled vocabularies over the past 2 years. Violet briefly mentioned the opening of LC editorial meetings, the expedited approval process, the new hires at LC, and the new SACO funnels.

The working group comprises about 30 people with different perspectives and includes non-catalogers. One of the main tasks that the working group did was to review 36 international vocabularies to find out whether they have an editorial process. This is hard to find information about because much of their vocabulary has very little information online about their processes. We asked questions such as what's your staffing level, who's there, and who's paying your bills. Some case studies have been done on Ethnographic Thesaurus and Homosaurus. Getty will be added to one of the examples. We would be happy to hear any examples of editorial review within the controlled vocabulary.

The working group has discussed what could be improved in the editorial board process, and a list of suggestions is in the report.

Deborah Tomaras: I really like the directions that you've been taking the report on. As someone who has been submitting proposals and didn't have a class web account for a long time, that PDF is horrific and clunky, often gets lost somewhere in the ether, and doesn't have enough fields. I liked the idea of having a static page because I can never remember where the meeting's PDF is. Opening up the SACO listserv a bit more will be beneficial to those who are doing SACO work.

Karla Jurgemeyer: I was able to browse the well enough to get a sense of the contents, and I think it's well done. My perception of the SACO proposal process is quite confusing and not transparent.

Violet Fox: I would love to get that in the minutes, even on SAC, do you find that process challenging?

Barbara Bushman: How are you deciding which ones you are going to highlight in the report? Are you going to provide an appendix with all 37 or 36 of the vocabulary and the information that you got on them?

Violet Fox: I hadn't planned on touching that list, but I think it's a good idea to do so. Thank you for the suggestion. We'll add the list as an appendix. What we're choosing to highlight is things that LC would be swayed by without us doing additional research other than what's available online.

**c. Update from Working Group on the Devaluation of Cataloging (Margaret Joyce)**

The working group has had three meetings. The working group discussed what the name of the group should be. At the SAC meeting, we talked about deprofessionalization, but we wanted to tackle a broader scope. We chose 'devaluation' as a more all-encompassing term. We compiled and annotated a bibliography of relevant resources and things that have been published on the topic. So we didn't want to replicate any work. What is discussed at the recent meeting is:

- What kind of form we wanted any output to be;
- Toolkit, including documents and formats, would work;
- Tailor for different audiences such as administrators, catalogers, students, and non-catalogers;
- How would be a good way to reach those people?

The group will continue to discuss these topics at the next meeting.

Sherman Clarke: There's been a lot of discussion in our history about using adjunct positions. I think that's also something, a different aspect of deprofessionalization.

Margaret Joyce: That connects to having transparency about how a lot of this work is being done, who is doing it, and what their positionality is.

Rocki Strader: You mentioned the annotated bibliography. Were you finding a lot of literature? I would find it very useful if you could post or share it.

Margaret Joyce: Right now, we have a spreadsheet. I thought about putting it in the report this time, but I wanted to check in with the members at the next meeting before sharing anything.

Barbara Bushman: I wanted to know if your group will be discussing not the evaluation but changing roles in terms of AI. It's more of a shift because you still need someone with the knowledge to know whether or not the machine did this correctly.

Margaret Joyce: We talked about at least one of the articles that I put in the annotated biography is what's the description of metadata jobs changing and so? I think that topic would fit best when we talk to administrators or we talk to people who have the idea that all that work can be done by an automated system. It emphasizes that there is still human involvement and there is still the need for expertise.

d. [Update from Joint GNCRT/SAC/OLAC Working Group on Compound Terms in the LCGFT Vocabulary](#) (Deborah Tomaras)

Violet Fox: I will say that this is my problem with LCSH. The fact is that just one bibliographic record can be used to create the subject heading. What if there we had like a limit of like 5 examples of this genre form term before it was established?

Deborah Tomaras: My guess would be that the compound terms that are likely to be proposed are going to have pretty heavy literary warrant or user warrant. I don't think we specifically addressed numeric thresholds in the report. By the time it makes its way through the proposal process, someone would have had to have found enough evidence that it would be more than one.

Rocki Strader: One of the things that I want to emphasize is that we want to capture user warrants, which addresses the numbers issue because when you get to a level where people are using it and wanting to find stuff, there's a bit of a groundswell beyond just one work or even a few that would bring that genre to people's attention, whether it's in the discipline or with fiction in the popular genres. One of the things we tried to do in the report was to show the ubiquity of some of the things across different platforms that are using very similar terms that could be used to standardize some terminology and get some of these compound terms into records so that people can find their stuff.

Violet Fox: If we're running the guidelines for future things, maybe provide them guidelines and how to do that? Otherwise, think about a numerical number.

Deborah Tomaras: At this point, the numerical number right is 0 because they're not allowed in at all. This is totally uninformed that if the Library of Congress is receptive to the idea of allowing compound terms, there would probably be some discussion and back and forth about things like parameters, but they have to get to the point of agreeing that compound terms at all are worthwhile, which was where this comes in.

Violet Fox: I thought giving some suggestions for some structure might help them feel more confident.

Adam Schiff: I think that one instantiation of a genre might be all you need. You have to cite more than just that one resource you have to cite others. You have to do authority research, and there have to be additional sources that justify that this genre exists. Usually, you should not just have one 670 for the one thing you have that you're cataloging.

Candy Riley: Deborah, what are the recommendations in this report? The first recommendation is to allow compounds of the genre to be proposed and accepted into the vocabulary. The second is allowing their assignment along with terms from other levels in genre or hierarchy. Are those two recommendations?

Deborah Tomaras: Yes.

Pete Wilson: Would a user warrant be required for these kinds of terms? If so, does that presume a corpus of works?

Deborah Tomaras: I would think that one could base on literary or user warrant or a combination. I imagine that if you're doing the research, you have to propose something that you would have more than a single example. In order for it to be accepted, there's a corpus.

Judith Cannan: When it comes to user warrant, you're not talking about one use of the term. That is definitely you've got to find the use in multiple places. If you combine that with a literary warrant, you have a pretty strong case.

*Comments In the chat:*

*Alison Bailund: I have held off on proposing a genre until I saw it pop up in more works and appear more widely in reference sources.*

*Violet Fox: I'm gonna write a platform paper on my own, suggesting to fix LCSH by removing all the examples of headings that are only reflected on one WorldCat record.*

*Alison Bailund: I think sometimes that might result in the fact that people don't always go back and add after a term has been approved.*

Adam Schiff: That's true. My job is, when we propose headings, I have to identify all the works that we have in our collection and retrospectively add them. But sometimes there's only one work about a topic. I'm really not sure what Violet is suggesting to eliminate a subject heading because it's only been used once. But if it's for that one work, I don't see why one would eliminate that.

Violet Fox: Because LCSH has too many headings.

Adam Schiff: That work would not get an appropriate subject heading in the future, or it would be assigned to a more broad heading that isn't specific enough.

Violet Fox: Yes, that happens a lot.

Deborah Tomaras: I personally think there is no such thing as too many headings, and therefore I always, especially coming from a public library background, tend to air on the side



of not cutting out anything I think might be useful to someone in the future. But that's just a personal approach. It doesn't appear in our report, and therefore in terms of trying to get endorsements, I don't think it's going to shoot us in the foot.

Amanda Ros: I follow the side of Adam in this argument. Because there's such a wealth of literature and the fact that more literature is always being created, I hesitate to say that I would want to delete something that only has one heading because that doesn't mean that it will always be the only item with one heading. And just because things don't have appropriate headings and have broader terms, just because that's the way it is done right now in some cases, I don't think that's the way it should be done. I understand that it's hard to keep up with all the changes and that it's an unwieldy size for a vocabulary.

Rocki Strader: I think one of the things we also have to keep in mind with LCSH is that it's got free-floating subdivisions and all kinds of things that are mix and match that do create unique headings that are perfectly acceptable within the parameters for construction. LCSH is unique in that regard in what it's trying to accomplish because the corpus that it's being used for is so gigantic. I would love to continue this discussion, but there are other issues at play.

Adam Schiff: I did want to point out that we use LCSH and the Name Authority File in our digital metadata for many things that are not in OCLC. We do a lot of SACO proposals for buildings and geographic places. We do a lot of Name authority records for geographic places as well that we're using in CONTENTdm, and you won't find them in OCLC. I would really strenuously object to this notion that you go and gather all the things that have been used only once in LCSH and get rid of them.

Candy Riley: Let me ask you, Deborah. You're asking for SAC to endorse this report by the 31st of January. I could post to the board next Monday, give that deadline, and ask if anybody has any more suggestions or comments that you need to work into the report. Would that do what you need to do?

Deborah Tomaras: Yes, I think if we could get a final vote on endorsement and comments sent by the 31st, they will work for my group.

*Question from chat:*

*Leonard Martin: Do catalogers here assign local headings in instances of collections with no appropriate subject and/or genre/form term with a \$2 local or other non-vocabulary?*

*Chloe Misorski: We frequently use \$2 local headings at my institution for DEI-related terms that aren't present in LC*

*Adam Schiff: We occasionally use local headings, or we use a term from another vocabulary like Homosaurus or even Wikidata.*

**e. Update on ICOLC Statement on Metadata Rights (Amanda Ros)**

Amanda Ros shared a link:

<https://icolc.net/statements/icolc-statement-metadata-rights-libraries#:~:text=Metadata%20describing%20library%20collections%20is,contractual%20terms%20and%20market%20influence>.

Amanda Ros: This is an item that Amber Billy had asked that the committee chairs endorse, and the committee chair said we're not going to endorse it without talking to our committees. We brought it back to you as a committee. In the subsequent committee chair's meeting, there was some perceived conflict of interest with the authorship of the statement. Amber is looking at creating a metadata rights task group to examine it further. You will notice on the ICOLC statement webpage that the ALA Core metadata and collection section leadership team has endorsed it. That's the very first endorsing organization. I don't know if they will rescind their endorsement, but it will be interesting to see what the task group comes up with. I don't know the status of the task group. I don't recall seeing anything come across my screen or email since that meeting. I could check with Amber and see if she's still in the process of creating the group because I'm sure that there are people on this committee, or just guests even here in this meeting, that would be interested in possibly serving on the working group.

Candy Riley: I was also at that section meeting that we had in December. I just thought it was the strangest way to go about doing this kind of thing for this section to endorse it and then discuss it. Either you want all your community's approval, or you don't. Any comments?

Rocki Strader: I'm just a little bit confused. You said there was a conflict of interest.

Amanda Ros: I did not take notes on that. The only thing that I could find was a Connect message to the committee chairs from Amber, thanking us for the productive meeting and that there seems to need still to be a lot of discussions.

Candy Riley: It was definitely one committee that brought this up. There was a conflict between the writing of the actual statement.

Rocki Strader: This is a legal issue between Clarivate and OCLC This is not new. I think OCLC had been here before with how they want the bib records treated because Clarivate seems to be new to me. Now it seems to me that there should be some kind of independent review of the whole concept of rights to bib records. That should be separately pursued by ALA or even Core. It's very odd to me, the order of things is a little weird.

Candy Riley: We'll keep you updated when we have quarterly leadership meetings with the section. We'll keep you updated as we hear stuff.

Amanda Ros: I will reach out to Amber and see what the status of the Metadata Rights Working Task Group is.

*In the chat:*

*Cynthia Whitacre shared a link:*

<https://www.oclc.org/en/news/announcements/2022/oclc-clarivate-settle-lawsuit.html>

#### **f. Update on ALCTS SAC library documents (Candy Riley)**

Candy Riley: I'm going to give you an update on the OLAC library document that had been in there when we were on the ALCTS site and we moved over to Connect. Jenny has gone ahead and uploaded everything that was on the ALCTS site, and it's in the library for the public Connect side. If you go into the public site and you click on the library tab, you'll see all the documents that were there on the ALCTS site, and there's a bunch of folders by year, starting with 2010. While there are folders, not all the documents, the reports, and the agendas for meetings are in the folders yet. We need to finish organizing the documents and putting them in the correct folder so that they're easily findable. I'm going to make sure that those documents, the legacy documents, get put on the SAC member Connect site as well.

#### **6. New Business 10 min.**

*In the chat:*

*Tina Gross: This connects back to an earlier discussion, but I would like to suggest that before each meeting when putting together the agenda, the SAC chair should contact Grey House Publishing and ask for an update on the Sears List. Perhaps with a brief explanation that SAC gets regular updates from the maintainers of the major controlled vocabularies. They may not (be able to) do it, but I think communicating the norm/expectation is worthwhile.*

Candy Riley: I did ask for an update on the Sears list, and I didn't hear back from Jessica.

*Rocki Strader (in the chat): Brian Stearns and I tried, too, and got no answer.* I work at Marcive, and we do create the MARC records for the new Sears vocabulary whenever it comes out. Jessica sends us an Excel sheet with all the old terms and new terms, the changes, and then we'll make MARC records from that and then we'll send them back to her. We do have a relationship with Jessica. I have talked to her a lot of other times, so not sure why she doesn't tell us anything.

Violet Fox: I think it's worth continuing to reach out and say this is important to us. There are no school librarians here representing school libraries and small libraries. I think it might be worth asking some standardized questions of the people who are writing reports of the liaison, especially for the new liaisons. We can say this is what we expect from our liaison and their report. I think we could make our reports better if we asked more specific

questions, giving those guidelines to people instead of expecting them to know what we want from a report.

Candy Riley: That was one of the things I was going to bring out now is a new business. As a committee, it would be nice to have a template or a list of what we're looking for from everybody. Once the committees have time to think about it, there'd be some other things that we would like to be standard in the reports. Maybe we can take that to the board, and we can come up with something like that.

Amanda Ros: It might be something worth asking the division leadership because I know that some reports in Core have a format, and we might not have to reinvent the wheel. We might be able to look at several examples of a forum report, pick and choose what we might find useful, or tweak it.

*Deborah Rose-Lefmann (in the chat): When I was a liaison, I would have appreciated some guidance on the reports.*

*Violet Fox (in the chat): Why would it need to go to the board?*

Rocki Strader: I'm reiterating what Violet put in the chat because I had the same question you said to take to the board.

Candy Riley: The Connect board - the discussion board. That's what I mean by the board.

Barbara Bushman: I think it would be helpful. When I first came on, I had to ask Brian. We have liaisons from different types of organizations here. It's not the same type of information that's being reported. If you provide a template, not all the liaisons have the same type of information to report.

Candy Riley: It may be a list of guidelines, but it may be up to the chair, then to kind of tweak that for each and what they ask for from each liaison.

Amanda Ros: When I have chaired committees, I will go back and find previous reports that liaisons or chairs have done. I'll look at several of them and get an idea of what types of things my predecessors thought were important, either in how they formulated the report or the types of things that they touched upon. But I do still think that it would be a good idea to kind of come up with a form.

Candy Riley: I don't know if this will be a committee or a working group or just a discussion on the Connect board. We could definitely also address which questions are appropriate and for which liaison.

Violet Fox: I think a discussion on Connect would be great for this.

Candy Riley: I need to tell you that Core has asked - they were asking the division-level committees - if we plan on meeting at ALA Annual. Are we going to want to schedule our meetings? Or go on the virtual meeting route?

Rose Krause: I'm curious about what kind of support ALA is willing to provide us. Should we choose to meet in person or a hybrid? We have pretty good participation in the virtual environment because of the low threshold for cost.

Candy Riley: I really don't anticipate that they are going to have much support for a hybrid.

Amanda Ros: ALA has consistently said doing a hybrid model is not possible. It's one or the other, not both. But it looks like a lot of people are preferring the virtual.

Candy Riley: I'll post a message next week and just ask everybody to vote.

Deborah Rose-Lefmann: I think it's short-sighted on ALA's part to refuse to support hybrid. A lot of people who do go to the conference go because they have committee meetings.

Judith Cannan: I tend to agree with Deborah. I don't think they've figured it out. It is prohibitively expensive. We've looked into it, PCC and we just decided we couldn't possibly afford it to do a hybrid meeting at ALA.

Violet Fox: Anything to say about how LC relies on more volunteer labor? (Good, bad, otherwise?)

Amanda Ros: Recently, for in-person ALA Conferences, they will have a very large room where there is a table for each committee in the section. If we decide to go virtual, do we want to make sure that Core knows that we don't have interest in having a table there so that if people do show up, they know that the committee will have a virtual meeting at a later date, and they have opted out of participation in the all-committee section meeting.

Rocki Strader: That was when we had the solicitation for that last year when I was chair. I made a point of telling them that we did not need a table and that we would be meeting virtually on a date to be determined.

Chloe Misorski: I did want to say quickly to Violet's point about the increasing need for volunteer labor to support SACO and NACO. I do really appreciate having the opportunity to contribute and to add my voice to the larger system. But I have never been in a large or well-funded library, like some other folks who are more encouraged to contribute and have more of that built into possibly tenure expectations. I'm working with the gender and sexuality funnel. But it's extremely overwhelming with the amount of other work I need to do because my cataloging department has shrunk incredibly, and I'm in charge of many more things

going on with the deprofessionalization of catalogers. Many other minoritized people are being left out

of these opportunities to contribute, and it's really difficult to put all of that on a minoritized person, especially because it can be traumatic to go through and try and justify yourself and your existence as an asexual person. The term Sexuality was not in the Library of Congress for years, and that's really dehumanizing, but it's not my job to fix it as a person with a lot of other jobs.

Violet Fox: LC is expanding this and asking for volunteer work. It is going to people who are not paid to do that. So let's just keep in mind that it's unqualified, but good that more people are getting involved. We're talking about it at the next meeting as well.

Lindsey O'Brien: It just occurred to me that we're talking about some volunteer time versus not volunteer time. In previous positions I've had, there would not have been any space for me to use my work time even to attend this meeting which would not be appropriate. There might be people who would have very strong opinions about that very question, but they cannot attend during their work and have it count as work hours.

#### **7. Report of the chair of SAC (Candy Riley) [[SAC23-MW-chair](#)] 5 min.**

The report of the chair was posted on the Connect member and public sites prior to the meeting and was not read at this meeting.

#### **8. Open Discussion / Open Announcement period 10 min.**

*Deborah Tomaras(in the chat): I wonder if people have more thoughts about the pilot project removing form subdivisions since the more I think about it, the less I like it.*

Candy Riley: You're talking about what Paul talked about on Wednesday?

Deborah Tomaras: Yes.

Adam Schiff: I think that it's potentially disastrous not to be able to distinguish between fiction and non-fiction or forms of literature with a browsable list.

Deborah Tomaras: I think having the nature of something immediately visible in the string and the search results are really important. Diminishing clicks is really important because I have been told that many people won't go beyond a certain level of clicks when attempting to find materials of interest. I think it helps clarify things like biographical fiction versus actual biographies or helps people find movies about something versus a comic about something.

Adam Schiff: It's really helpful when you have that string in our catalog. For example, topic-fiction, you can click on that, and it takes you to all the other records that actually have that string in it as well. In our institution, we have not turned on in public by genre/form because there have been concerns about too many facets and people don't use the facets that much, and the fact that we don't have them retrospectively on a lot of records.

Deborah Tomaras: When we were working on best practices for comics cataloging, we had an open comment period. There were people who wanted more form subdivisions instead of less. They wanted to be able to distinguish between fictional comics and nonfiction comics on subjects.

*Violet Fox (in the chat): Within the committee email list, we've asked questions about the rules around gender-specific terms in LCDGT but haven't gotten that answered. Do we need to ask LC specifically? Or is LC aware of this conversation and thinking of an answer?*

Candy Riley: Our SACO representative, Veronica, responded in the chat: *This is the question that we are having to present to the upper LC Management for a decision which may take a good bit of time. I'm afraid it is out of my hands.*

### **Adjournment**

**Meeting adjourned by the chair at 2:59 CST.**